What is it?
Dry needling is a therapeutic technique in which acupuncture needles are inserted into specific points in the muscles, known as trigger points, with the aim of relieving pain and muscle tension. This technique is commonly used in physiotherapy to treat muscle injuries related to overuse, sudden movements or other similar causes. Unlike other invasive treatments, dry needling does not use anaesthesia or inject any substance.
How do we work?
- First, we assess the area affected by muscle pain or injury to identify the trigger points causing the tension and pain.
- The skin around the selected trigger point is cleaned and disinfected.
- Once the trigger point is located, a fine, sterile acupuncture needle is inserted into the skin and directed directly to the point of muscle tension.
- Once the needle is inserted, a muscle response known as a “local twitch response” may occur, indicating that the trigger point has been reached.
- After a few minutes, the needle is removed and ice or heat may be applied to the treated area to reduce swelling and pain.
Benefits of dry needling
Can we help you?
Call now and ask for more information